What a fun day! Today was the second annual Illinois Marathon! This year the half-marathon and Marathon runners ran their last 2 miles right past our house! We got to cheer on several good friends on (while wishing we were running too... ok, maybe only I wished that). Our good friend Shannon and her two boys Liam (3) and Sean (1.5 years old) hung out with us so Liam and Sean could watch their daddy run by.
The boys were beyond excited to race in their very first kids race! We made our way over to the Illini Football Stadium and waiting on the field for 45 minutes for the races (picture 300 kids plus parents aged 3-10 smooshed together in a hot field). The boys raced in the 6 and under category in which all children raced with a parent/guardian.
I raced with Eli and Sam raced with Nate. Eli and are running soul mates! It is so fun to watch him run. He has my long-legged stride, my easy gate and my love of speed! Nate and Sam are also running soul mates with big strong legs and a steady hard hitting stride! Watching Nate is like watching a mini-Sam run! Eli took off so fast in the crowd (with my trailing behind him) until 20 yards in where he cut in front of me and another kid taking us both down (I caught the other little boy and got yelled at by his ridiculous Dad... totally good sportsmanship on that one). Eli was probably one of the first 2o kids across! The best part of racing with Eli is when halfway through the race he started to cry. When I asked him why cried to me " I am out of breath" and then when I asked him if he wanted to stop and walk he said "No way I want to run!". He has never been out of breath before and I think it scared him. He totally powered out and wouldnt even slow down! When we crossed the finish line and he got his medal he was beaming! He shouted "I won"! Love it! I have to say, the boy is like the wind.
Nate and Sam had a great time as well! Nate ran the whole race and he chose the focused and consistent route! The boy just held steady for the whole race! Oh, I wish I could have been in two places at one time! I would have loved to see my baby pump his little legs and go for it! Sam loved running with Nate.
For a reward they got chocolate ice cream! What an adventure! I think there will be many more kids races in our future!
3 comments:
I loved your discription of the day. I can just see you guys out there with the boys. Can they get any cuter?
So it begins! In the years ahead, Eli and Nate will have many more races and games for us to cheer for. Fantastic pictures. I can see you doing a 5K together in a couple of years. The Running Kings! I like the sound of that.
Love to all the athletes,
Gromma
That sounds like so much fun! Tell the boys good job for running in the race. I hope Emma likes to run with me. Eli's headband is pretty cool too. I am glad y'all are enjoying the cookbooks.
Post a Comment