Thursday, August 20, 2009

Are you ready for this?

Yeah! I am a big boy now!!!
Fire-breathing dragon face! He made this face to every new person he met this morning.

Last spring we agonized over which preschool was the best fit for Eli. We narrowed it down to three 1) hippy preschool 2) nerd preschool 3) status-quo preschool. Being nerds, we of course chose nerd school. If you ever go with me to drop Eli off at school Parent-watching tells you a lot about the school (revenge of the nerds meets Simon and Garfunkel... we couldn't be a better fit). In truth, we absolutely love this school and it is completely geared for curious little kids with huge imaginations. Love it, love it, love it!

Eli and Nate and I went and visited his classroom yesterday (I went 3 times in the spring) to introduce Eli to his teachers and let him get a feel for it. Things that Eli was most impressed with: 1) a room totally dedicated to blocks (wooden, legos, cardboard, etc...) 2) computers 3) sand/water table, 4) a stage and musical instruments.

I was able to have one of my friends watch Nate this morning (Sam is in D.C. and our new babysitter is busy with grad school). Eli and I went into to his class and followed their routine (sign in, outside shoes off and inside shoes on, potty, wash hands and choose 3 activities for choice). Today for choice time Eli chose 1) building blocks 2) water table 3) read with an adult. Every day they will have different choices and it is entirely up to them (the first 30 minutes or so of the day).

Some highlights of the day 1) Eli standing on the stage with the guitar and singing twinkle-twinkle little star. 2) Eli telling one of 3 teacher aides that he only speaks spanish on Tuesday
3) Eli making a stinky face and huffing at people when he met them, telling them he was a fire-breathing dragon and 4) when I accidently pinched Eli's little skin (on his leg) between two wooden blocks and caused a blood blister (yep, that is just all around good parenting and definitely made him happy in his new environment).

Whew! What a day! Eli had a great time. He loved choice time, story time, group art time. He loved that they sang "zippity do da" while they cleaned up (clean up song). He loved it all. He loved it so much that he skipped snack (they eat when they want to for snack) and didn't go potty at all! One day at a time!

I love my preschooler! He is such a source of joy and wonder to us!

3 comments:

Gromma said...

Dear Eli,

Can it be? You are in preschool, when I can still see you the day you were born. Great big baby with great big hair. Now look at you...great big boy, great hair, and...a back pack, heading off to school..

I am so happy you loved it. I can't wait to hear of your many adventures there during the coming year.

Kisses and Hugs,

Gromma

Rebecca Ladina said...

omg, adorable!!!!

Grammy said...

what a hansome young man. He looks so much like Sam in those pics. I can't believe how grown he is!! Love to all.