Monday, February 27, 2012

The Scariest Place on Earth: The St. Louis City Museum

The most amazing 3 story, musical slide ever! (I went down it too)!
Eli making his way through one of the MANY tiny climbing tunnels
Brave Binky!
This is a tiny glimpse of the underground caverns right before I flipped out
Scary Gargoyle statues
Indoor foot skate park=awesomeness
Tricksters
Nate going down the skate ramp

One Saturday in January we had to travel to St. Louis for Nate's rheumatology appointment so we decided to make it a fun family day and hit up the rumored-to-be-awesome St. Louis City Museum. This is a family blog or I would tell you what I really think about it. The top two floors were crazy in a fantastic way. An indoor skate park designed for shoes was a huge hit! The boys could have spent the whole day there (and I wish we had). They ran around, did tricks, and jumps and slides. But my first hint that something was off about this museum came when the boys disappeared into the tunnels UNDER the skate ramps only to come out in a totally different location. You all know I can't handle loosing sight of my 4 and 6 year old at a small park let alone a gigantic museum full of weirdos. Ahem... So we then moved on to another SUPER place that involved me getting down on my hands and knees to crawl through bars and tunnels after the boys because their 6 foot 4 daddy couldn't fit. Ha Ha. We then did get to go down an amazing 3 story musical slide that was a blast! It was narrow and fast and seriously giggle inducing! We did it at least 3 times! So far, the museum had been slightly awesome and slightly terrifying. But we decided to head down to the bottom floor into the caverns!

The caverns...there are no words. We may go back when the boys are 16 and 17 to check it out again but I am not betting on it. Some how, the crazy people behind this museum have built a 6 story, intricate and dark, tunnel/cavarn/ninth-level-of-hell area that resembles carlsbad caverns on crack. It was full of teens smoking pot, flirty college kids and desperate parents trying to find their missing children. I was one of those parents for 5 minutes until I hit full panic mode and made us find our way out. The final straw was when our boys went down a tube tunnel and I lost them, only to find them with a group of teens that I swear were smoking pot. It took us 15 minutes to get out and that only happened because I coerced 3 middle school age boys into guiding us into the light.

As you can tell, it has been more than 1 month and I might never get over this experience! The museum is gorgeous, unique, and inventive but it is not for the overly anxious types! Sam, who was too tall to fit into ANYTHING doesn't understand why I wigged out but he certainly enjoyed the show when we climbed out of the caverns covered in sweat and frantic!

2 comments:

Gromma said...

OMG, that sounds like my worst nightmare. Do the boys know you are scarred for life?

Once again, your are Super Mommy, because I would have turned around at the first sight of the caverns. Thank goodness for teenagers. They probably felt sorry for you...rightfully so. Glad you made it out alive...so glad.

Momma

Grammy said...

I want to go there!!!